Saturday, July 28, 2012

In about 1 hour I begin my 32-hour journey back to New Mexico, leaving me just enough time to write this last post via France :(

The last few days have just flown by. I have been looking forward to the moment when I go back home for awhile now, but now that it is here, I am very sad to be going. I have been blessed to meet many wonderful people on this trip and they will all be missed dearly.

Remember I told you about those pickles we had with dinner last week? They are called 'cornichons'. And of course, there is a French song about them that is quite catchy. Much better than the last, I promise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6sPrpEJfEk&feature=related

Thursday afternoon was spent at the 'beach'. Now, when I say beach, I mean a lake with a concrete border around it that the French people apparently think is a beach. (huh?) But it was still fun. We played some sand volleyball and took a slide into the freezing cold lake water. I am told there are some actual beaches around the lake, but I wasn't fortunate enough to see them :(

Last night many of us got together one last time. Once again, we had to try some grub from this region of France. All I have to say is OMG. You read about the meat and cheese experience...well I did it again, but differently this time. This region of France is known for its Fondue and Raclette. Both are cheese dishes originally used by less fortunate individuals who couldn't afford much more than cheese, bread, potatoes and perhaps meat. Today, they are dishes often eaten in winter as they are very heavy. I can attest to this by the 2-hour stomach ache I had post-consumption...

However...Raclette is both a kind of cheese and the name of the dish. At least two people must share this dish. It is a wheel of cheese that comes connected to a heater-thing that slowly melts it down. As the consumer, you must organize some meat and potatoes on your fork and scrape off cheese from the wheel with every bit. Yum. And its never-ending, so I felt obligated to continue eating.

Following dinner we finally made it to the discotheque we have been trying to go to for the last month where I was sure to gracefully stub my toe, resulting in my toenail being cut in half. Aside from the blood, I had a great time. And when I took my cab back to the apartment at 230 in the morning, I also got to say good-bye to the random cab-driver man who now knows my address by heart because he has driven me home so much.

At the 'Beach'

Me in downtown Annecy before dinner :(

Cheers to our last night! To great times and even better friends :)

Love this girl. I didn't meet her until the last couple days of my stay here, but she is an amazing person and will truly be missed. I guess I will just have to visit Columbia some day!

Raclette before we tackled it...

And after...

Fondue. And my friend Clara.

No comments:

Post a Comment