Thursday, July 12, 2012

During my last class of the day, we listened to the following song. You will probably only want to listen to it once, maybe not even all the way through, but its a French version of a tongue twister, such as..."Peter Piper Picked a Peck of Pickled Peppers...." Pretty cool :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUYiugTpu8g

Anyway...yesterday I had another language moment...
The landlord to my apartment stopped by. This man speaks no English whatsoever, and my French is less than adequate, so you can imagine how our conversations usually go. They include a lot of polite nodding so as not to make the other party feel incredibly uncomfortable. Well, he presented me with this key. All of the people that live in this apartment have keys, so you can imagine my wonderment. When he told me the key was for the "toilettes" (obviously toilet) and pointed outside, I was even more confused. But of course, I nodded, smiled and he left. Later on, I was trying to explain to my Italian roommate what had happened (he also speaks little English) and he seemed to know all about this. Odd. He said, "Oui, le cle est pour les toilettes"...or at least that is what my American ears heard. Again. After he saw the look on my face, he continued to repeat himself slowly and finally understood he was saying "boite de lettres"...which is the mailbox. And clearly NOT a toilet outside. Phew. I was glad to have that cleared up.

If you have been reading this, you know that I went to visit Chamonix last weekend to see le Mont Blanc. I don't know how much news you have been watching or if it was even aired in the US, but there was a tragic accident very early this morning. An avalanche hit one of the climbing mountain, claiming the lives of at least  9 visitors from outside of France participating in mountain climbing (the one where they use ice-chips and such). This is a popular thing and I saw many people doing it the day I was there. As of right now, there are still up to 5 people unaccounted for. There are two articles listed here if you are interested.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/12/mont-blanc-avalanche_n_1667440.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/07/12/britons-among-dead-in-mont-blanc-massif-avalanche_n_1667458.html

I will leave you with my the new leader of ice cream flavers, KINDER. I am also not sure if this candy bar is sold in US. I think I will bring some home just in case because they are delicious!

Bon Soir!

No comments:

Post a Comment